HOW IS NIGERIA’S BLOOD SUPPLY CHAIN SYSTEM
Prior to this workshop, research have been carried out and stakeholders’ meeting was organized in various states to gather data.
Nigeria has a very complex supply blood chain and achieving the map-out plan seems impossible.
During the workshop, the following challenges were discussed:
1. Inadequate sensitization due to poor awareness and enlightenment of the masses.
2. Culture, religious beliefs, and myths are major reasons why people do not donate blood.
3. Blood black market of which the blood supplied or donated is not quality.
4. Commercial donors are disgusting as relatives.
5. Poverty keeps making recurring donors or donors that are qualified to make ends meet.
There are challenges in the blood supply chain system from the recruitment of donors to the last stage which is transfusion.
This does not only happen in the public sector, it also happens in the private blood donor transfusion services. The workshop came to an end with solutions and how we can improve the blood supply chain system in Nigeria to ensure that the chain of blood supply is effective at all levels and sectors.